The initiation of a blog...

I love analogies.

The God I serve is all about them as well. The Bible is fraught with parables, similes, analogies, word pictures, allegories... all to make us understand His Word and Will better.

I have no idea (or goals for) how often I will be posting the analogies I see and learn...
I am also definitely NOT a writer. I use way too many paranthesis, ellipses, all caps... so please correct my spelling and grammar if need be! ;)

Make comments, challenge me...
Thanks for reading!
Vanesa

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Not really an analogy...

The analogies are still swimming in my head, but I have not felt pressed to write about them recently.

A dear friend of mine recently challenged me with something her pastor had mentioned about the miracle of the floating axe head in 2 Kings 6.

She said- God put this miracle in the Bible for a reason. What does he want to teach us thru this? For the past few days it has made me a little more heightened as I am reading. Sometimes you really wonder- why on earth does he mention this? What is the point?

If I can't figure it out from the context, I turn to Mr. Matthew Henry's commentary.
Today it was the 'Death in the pot' story from 2 Kings 4:38-41

One thing Matthew Henry said about these scriptures really brought a smile to my face:
"The sons of the prophets, it seems, were better skilled in divinity than in natural philosophy, and read their Bibles more than their herbals."

The prophet may have been a poor cook, he might not have known how to season soup, and he may have even cooked up poison without even knowing it! But he was more knowlegeable about the Word of God then he was about the plants and the herbs. Isn't it tempting to want to be wise in the ways of the world? To want to be skilled or knowledgeable about many different things, whatever it may be?
Fleeting.

“Remember, dear brothers and sisters, that few of you were wise in the world’s eyes or powerful or wealthy when God called you. Instead, God chose things the world considers foolish in order to shame those who think they are wise. And he chose things that are powerless to shame those who are powerful. God chose things despised by the world, things counted as nothing at all, and used them to bring to nothing what the world considers important. As a result, no one can ever boast in the presence of God.” 1 Corinthians 1:26-29

No comments: