The initiation of a blog...

I love analogies.

The God I serve is all about them as well. The Bible is fraught with parables, similes, analogies, word pictures, allegories... all to make us understand His Word and Will better.

I have no idea (or goals for) how often I will be posting the analogies I see and learn...
I am also definitely NOT a writer. I use way too many paranthesis, ellipses, all caps... so please correct my spelling and grammar if need be! ;)

Make comments, challenge me...
Thanks for reading!
Vanesa

Sunday, December 14, 2008

Woman among Women

While reading for the Sunday School lesson this week- it was on Luke 1... the angel Gabriel appearing to Mary...

He said to her- greetings you who are highly favored! and this greatly troubled Mary... was it just the fact that an angel was speaking to her? Or was it something about what he said? This puzzled me enough to look to MH. I love Matthew Henry... ;)

He chastens women to ask some questions regarding compliments they receive and the motives behind them... Some things that Mary may have wondered about Gabriel's greeting:
Was it from heaven or of men? Was it to amuse her? was it to ensnare her? was it to banter her? or was there something substantial and weighty in it?


"Mary's thoughtfulness upon this occasion gives a very useful intimation to young people of her sex, when addresses are made to them, to consider and cast in their minds what manner of salutations they are, whence they come, and what their tendency is, that they may receive them accordingly, and may always stand on their guard."

AMEN! Nice Challenge MH.
"The wise in heart are called discerning..." (Proverbs 16:21)

No comments: