The initiation of a blog...

I love analogies.

The God I serve is all about them as well. The Bible is fraught with parables, similes, analogies, word pictures, allegories... all to make us understand His Word and Will better.

I have no idea (or goals for) how often I will be posting the analogies I see and learn...
I am also definitely NOT a writer. I use way too many paranthesis, ellipses, all caps... so please correct my spelling and grammar if need be! ;)

Make comments, challenge me...
Thanks for reading!
Vanesa

Sunday, November 23, 2008

Happiness can not always equal love

So I have made friends with a lovely homeless lady named Linda. She is great and Im glad I have gotten to know her. She has quickly become dear to me and I really want good for her- I want her to REALLY know the Lord! I want her to get a job... I want her to find joy.

Its funny because she really loves Cigarettes... she tries to space em out and get a pack every 3-4 days. Its funny to hear her talk about them and they really bring her a lot of pleasure. The last time I saw her I asked her what kind of cigarettes she liked... (Newport 100s) trying to think to myself- is this a gift I could bring her to show her love? The Bible does not say that smoking a cigarette is a sin...

My wise boyfriend looked at me like I had grown a third head when I mentioned that I had contemplated buying her cigarettes and that it might be a moral dilemma... how on earth could I give her something that she is finding her joy in or fulfilling an addiction!? (wow Vanesa.)
I told Linda that I wanted what was best for her and it wouldn't be loving for me to give her something that could kill her! It also wouldn't be loving for me to give her something to find peace in apart from Jesus Christ.

I think its the same when a wife has a husband who has an addiction to food and loves to overindulge... and she just goes ahead and fixes him whatever he wants because she would rather see him happy. That cannot be 1 Corinthians love... desiring what is best for the other person above their comfort. So hard though I know! Its so tempting to pray for ease and comfort for the people you love instead of praying God to conform them into His likeness. I am so glad for a Father whos PERFECT love always chooses what is best for me, regardless of my opinion on the issue... Lord always answer my prayers according to your unfailing love!!!!

No comments: