The initiation of a blog...

I love analogies.

The God I serve is all about them as well. The Bible is fraught with parables, similes, analogies, word pictures, allegories... all to make us understand His Word and Will better.

I have no idea (or goals for) how often I will be posting the analogies I see and learn...
I am also definitely NOT a writer. I use way too many paranthesis, ellipses, all caps... so please correct my spelling and grammar if need be! ;)

Make comments, challenge me...
Thanks for reading!
Vanesa

Thursday, July 24, 2008

Canadian Geese

Today I almost ran over 3 canadian geese just marching along in front of my house... they have been overly domesticated from the consistent feeding of my neighbors and now no longer know to STAY OUT OF THE ROAD.
Especially when I'm driving. ;)

While in the Grand Canyon, we found squirrels who had the same perilous problem. The rangers said they have had to shoot 21 deer in 2008 alone! The deer have become so dependent on food from the humans that they no longer know how to find their own food in nature.

This is analogous to MANY things in our lives... but I think the most convicting is in regard to our desensitization. There is a couple at my church who continually sharpens me, and they are so far removed from the world that things still shock them. We have become so intertwined with the things of the world that not only does it not seem bad, we don't even remember what it was like to desire the pure spiritual milk of the Word more than the imitations the world feeds us!

One of the ways they have opened my eyes is in the area of modesty. They will look at something and have to look away or be embarrased as I am sitting there like WHAT? What is wrong with it?
Sick.
Lord open the eyes of my heart to recognize the pretty treats and lures of the world are disguised graves bringing shame! All praise to my creator who knows how to feed me best!

"Stolen water is sweet; food eaten in secret is delicious! But little do they know that the dead are there, that her guests are in the depths of the grave." -Proverbs 9:17-18

No comments: