The initiation of a blog...

I love analogies.

The God I serve is all about them as well. The Bible is fraught with parables, similes, analogies, word pictures, allegories... all to make us understand His Word and Will better.

I have no idea (or goals for) how often I will be posting the analogies I see and learn...
I am also definitely NOT a writer. I use way too many paranthesis, ellipses, all caps... so please correct my spelling and grammar if need be! ;)

Make comments, challenge me...
Thanks for reading!
Vanesa

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

What is Faith?

This morning I attempted to teach swim lessons to an 8 and a 9 year old girl who were afraid of drowning and didn't know how to swim. One of the little girls wouldn't even try... She had almost drowned once and her fear had completely immobilized her. No matter how much I assured her that I wouldn't let go of her, her fear of drowning was greater than her faith in my words.

This analogy could go many ways. One way that I will leave open for you is that despite her fear she REALLY wanted to learn how to swim. When we left she was almost in tears because she didn't get to really try to swim because she refused to do all the things I asked her to. I sat down with her before we left and asked her if she would try next time and if she really did want to learn how to swim. I have been told before that you will do whatever you desire more... if you desire to be thin more than you desire the chocolate cake- your actions will follow accordingly. If your desire to swim is greater than your fear- you will do what it takes to learn. To that argument many have produced the example Paul sets forth in Romans 7 about conflicting desires. When I asked this little girl- which is stronger, your desire to swim or your fear of the water? And she adamantly shouted BOTH! Infer what you will.

I want to expound on the faith issue. Today I read in Luke 7 about the faith of the centurion. In my opinion, faith is a very hard concept to define. Hence why God gave us an entire chapter of what faith looks like analogies in Hebrews 11. In Luke 7, Jesus says this is the greatest example of faith He's seen in all of Israel. The centurion recognizes the absolute power of Christ and places himself wholeheartedly (and humbly!) under his authority.

Side note: I LOVE the centurion's attitude and I know Christ did as well. In verse 4, the people all come to Jesus and say (Vanesa paraphrase version)- this man DESERVES you to heal his servant- he loves his nation and has even given the money to build our entire church building! WHOA. ;) The centurion however says, "Lord I don't even deserve to have you enter my home!"

Lord keep me in an attitude of humble faith! Recognizing how underserving I am of all your graces. No matter how much I could ever give or do... it is so small! I deserve death.

"Therefore since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have gained access by faith into this GRACE in which we now stand." -Romans 5:1-2

Beautiful Sovereign Grace song entitled GRACE UPON GRACE. My favorite of the day:

You have ordained every breath we take
In pleasure or pain, there is no mistake
Gladness and grief, both are in Your hand
And sufferings brief carry out Your plan
And our fleeting sorrows will yield an endless prize
When some bright tomorrow we’ll see You with our eyes,
****************
Grace upon grace flows down, flows down
Grace upon grace flows down, flows down
Through the precious blood of Christ.
****************
Father of lights, Giver of all grace
Your mercies crown our lives all our days.
River of Life, quench our thirsty souls
For no true delight does Your love withhold.
And in every season we are satisfied
For just one reason- Christ was crucified

1 comment:

my name is laura said...

your fear v faith thoughts about the little girl reminds me of screwtape letters. have you ever read it?