The initiation of a blog...

I love analogies.

The God I serve is all about them as well. The Bible is fraught with parables, similes, analogies, word pictures, allegories... all to make us understand His Word and Will better.

I have no idea (or goals for) how often I will be posting the analogies I see and learn...
I am also definitely NOT a writer. I use way too many paranthesis, ellipses, all caps... so please correct my spelling and grammar if need be! ;)

Make comments, challenge me...
Thanks for reading!
Vanesa

Sunday, July 20, 2008

Feast or Famine?


My mind is currently full of these analogies (hence the reason for starting the blog)...

I recently backpacked a few days in the Grand Canyon with a dear friend of mine (Kata holla). Amid the scoffs of those who found us foolish for facing the desert in July, we had an amazing time.

We did hit the usual low point, however, this time on day #2. During July, the national park service guidelines are to avoid hiking between 10 am-4 pm each day because of the high risk of heat exhaustion and dehydration. We started hiking that day at 6 am, and aside from a short break from 10-11 at the gorgeous Ribbon Falls, we were hiking in the heat of mid-day and OUT OF WATER. Around 1:30 pm, the headaches begin and the grouchiness ensues, but we are foolishly determined to press on. By the grace of God, we made it to our destination in mostly one piece, got water and attempted to cool off the best we could.

So where is the analogy?

The minor detail I left out of the above description is that for almost the entire hike back that day, our trail was about a stone's throw away from the river. Gorgeous blue, cool, running water, well within reach (with a little effort) but we were determined to forge on without it.

It just really reminded me how often we go through our days ignoring the stream of LIVING water. It is totally within reach, requiring some effort but not unattainable amounts, but we choose to do without it.

"O Lord, the HOPE of Israel, all who forsake you will be put to shame. Those who turn away from you will be written in the dust because they have forsaken the Lord, the spring of living water." -Jeremiah 17:13

1 comment:

Jamie said...

Lead me in the path of your commandments, for I delight in it. (Psalm 119:35) Praying this for us this afternoon.