The initiation of a blog...

I love analogies.

The God I serve is all about them as well. The Bible is fraught with parables, similes, analogies, word pictures, allegories... all to make us understand His Word and Will better.

I have no idea (or goals for) how often I will be posting the analogies I see and learn...
I am also definitely NOT a writer. I use way too many paranthesis, ellipses, all caps... so please correct my spelling and grammar if need be! ;)

Make comments, challenge me...
Thanks for reading!
Vanesa

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Thank you

Do you think the desire to 'pay people back' is an innate sin-nature trait, an innate God-given trait, or a learned-by-society trait?

Im not sure... I know it is partly pride but I wonder if it is originally a God-given trait that has been tainted by pride... or originally a sin-nature trait we have to combat.

There is a couple in my church who have given me so much it is ridiculous. They are constantly giving-giving-giving and it is embarassing! I honestly feel like avoiding it or just not mentioning anything because I don't want them to give me anything else! Being needy is truly not a comfortable situation for most of us. I have been thinking constantly how I can show them my gratitude? Should I buy them a gift card? I feel like a thank you card doesn't have value because Id have to give them one every day and it loses its meaning.

This is how we are before God. We can never ever pay him back! This is why grace is such a hard concept for us and we'd prefer a works salvation because then at least I did something for it! With God, our desire to give back is like slipping someone a buck who just saved your life. 'Here- go have a cup of coffee on me.' Ludicrous. I remember listening to a Piper sermon where he talked about the line in Come though Fount- "O to Grace how great a debtor daily Im constrained to be..." Every day I get further and further indebted!

How can I show God thanks?

"How can I repay the Lord for all his goodness to me? I will lift up the cup of salvation and call on the name of the Lord. I will fulfill my vows to the Lord in the presence of all his people." -Psalm 116:12-14

No comments: