The initiation of a blog...

I love analogies.

The God I serve is all about them as well. The Bible is fraught with parables, similes, analogies, word pictures, allegories... all to make us understand His Word and Will better.

I have no idea (or goals for) how often I will be posting the analogies I see and learn...
I am also definitely NOT a writer. I use way too many paranthesis, ellipses, all caps... so please correct my spelling and grammar if need be! ;)

Make comments, challenge me...
Thanks for reading!
Vanesa

Thursday, September 18, 2008

Extended Camping Trip

Paul, the tentmaker, knew a LOT about tents.
I on the other hand- know almost NOTHING about them.

I listened to a neat sermon this eve that made me think about this...

Don't you find it odd that he only uses them in analogy ONE time in all the books that he wrote?
I do.

The only time you find the word tent in the Pauline epistles is in the beginning of 2 Corinthians 5.
Usually the analogies come from the things we see day in and day out... at least mine do.

2 Cor 5
Now we know that if the earthly tent we live in is destroyed, we have a building from God, an eternal house in heaven, not built by human hands. Meanwhile we groan, longing to be clothed with our heavenly dwelling, because when we are clothed, we will not be found naked. For while we are in this tent, we groan and are burdened, because we do not wish to be unclothed but to be clothed with our heavenly dwelling, so that what is mortal may be swallowed up by life. Now it is God who has made us for this very purpose and has given us the Spirit as a deposit, guaranteeing what is to come.

One of the attributes about tents that I am so thankful for is that they are temporary! So glad I don't have to live in one day in and day out! Whenever I get home from backpacking I cant wait to sleep in my nice air conditioned house and comfy bed.

Can't wait to trade in my tent for a mansion one day!

No comments: