The initiation of a blog...

I love analogies.

The God I serve is all about them as well. The Bible is fraught with parables, similes, analogies, word pictures, allegories... all to make us understand His Word and Will better.

I have no idea (or goals for) how often I will be posting the analogies I see and learn...
I am also definitely NOT a writer. I use way too many paranthesis, ellipses, all caps... so please correct my spelling and grammar if need be! ;)

Make comments, challenge me...
Thanks for reading!
Vanesa

Thursday, September 4, 2008

Overused Analogies

So I ran the rock n roll half marathon this past weekend and there were SO many analogies running around. However, most of them are nothing profound so if it wasn't about time for another blog, I probably wouldn't post them.... ;)

I started running with my sister and 2 of her friends and one girl fell behind instantly. About mile 4 I was jamming to my ipod, getting my grove on and a song came on the playlist entitled "Miserable." It was NOT the song to be listening to while running. I started thinking- DUDE I AM miserable. Why on earth did I sign up for this? It seemed like a good idea at the time... ;) Just made me think how important the attitude and MIND is. If I sit in class thinking how miserable I am... or how much Im learning- BIG difference.

The climax/disaster in the race happened at mile 5. My headphones for my ipod severed and died! Talk about discouraging. I INSTANTLY stopped running to try and fix it to no avail. This is when the mental game really picked up. Just quit now. Forget it. I was walking at the water station when the girl who was a part of our team that had fallen behind initially caught up to me. It was such a relief to see her and to have a buddy to help get through the rest of the race together! I honestly am not sure if I would have started running again if it wasn't for her. I need people and friends to push me/keep me accountable! She also produced some magic energy beans at mile 10 that enabled us to get to the finish line.

My sister had made us wear these crazy outfits (ie hot pink knee socks) and post verses and motivational quotes on our back. Mine was- the best way to cheer yourself up is to cheer everybody else up. SO TRUE. (maybe a little WEAK- I mean the best way to encourage yourself is with the Word but hey) The more I cheered for the people around me- the more I could push it and the happier I got. Also the socks really helped us stand out- and all the crowd was yelling- I like your socks! or Go socks! ;) wow.

Basically, the moral of my tale: encouragement is key against discouragement and lies.


"Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen." -Eph 4:29

1 comment:

my name is laura said...

WOW. Lesson of a lifetime! Sorry for my contagious discouragement too!