The initiation of a blog...

I love analogies.

The God I serve is all about them as well. The Bible is fraught with parables, similes, analogies, word pictures, allegories... all to make us understand His Word and Will better.

I have no idea (or goals for) how often I will be posting the analogies I see and learn...
I am also definitely NOT a writer. I use way too many paranthesis, ellipses, all caps... so please correct my spelling and grammar if need be! ;)

Make comments, challenge me...
Thanks for reading!
Vanesa

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

He knows my weaknesses

I am encouraged by HUMANITY....

Im encouraged by seeing that others are the same as me and struggle as I do. People who seem to have it all together do not appeal to me- I love real, authentic faith.

When my pastor says that 'his spiritual life looks like the stock market over the last few months- more downs than ups'...

When Jim Elliot's journals speak of his desire for physical intimacy.

When Elizabeth Elliot speaks of her studying Quichua (one of the conditions Jim placed on her to achieve prior to marriage) compared to her aquisition of the Spanish language for Bible translation, she says- "For while spanish held out to me eternal rewards, the learning of Quichua held a clearcut temporal one by which I am afraid I was more powerfully motivated."

AYE Humanity... That is why the study of psychology, anthropology, even the reading of biographies are so fascinating... we long for people as examples and role models, that are somehow superhuman but at the same time are just like us...

So glad I have that description in a Savior! "For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who was tempted in every way, just as we are- yet without sin." (Heb 4:15)

No need to wonder why gossip magazines are so popular- "Stars- they're just like you!"

Im so glad my heavenly Father knows my flesh and loves me anyways.
Psalm 78- "Yet he was merciful; he forgave their iniquities and did not destroy them. Time after time he restrained his anger and did not stir up his full wrath. He remembered that they were but FLESH."

And speaking of flesh- yesterday all three of us estudiantes de espanol hit a serious wall. Como se dice- CRANKY. Mi amiga is going to blog about that so I will just leave the articulation up to her.
And the spanglish humor for day #10- I told mi profesora that I had a "Onda" because in Honduras everything all H's are silent... ;) She laughed at me for at least 3 minutes. Apparently Honda is still Honda. ;)

WOW- I feel like my writing was already bad before I came down here but it seems to have gotten worse. I now speak broken English... My sentences have to communicate a point and fast- only subjects and verbs. ;)

6 comments:

Unknown said...

What is quichua?? I'm glad you are teaching some English to others. That's probably appreciated.

Kata Colleen said...

I just realized why I do so poorly on the GRE. =) Too many languages are buzzing around in my head. I combine them to get the great scores that I do. OH THE GRE...how I love thee. =)

Haylee Bisharat said...

So insightful!

Rescued by the Lamb said...

so what's this friend of yours who is blogging about "CRANKY"? can you send me her link? :)THanks V!

Rescued by the Lamb said...

I meant "who", not "what". Sorry. :P

Vanesa said...

http://psalm579.wordpress.com/