The initiation of a blog...

I love analogies.

The God I serve is all about them as well. The Bible is fraught with parables, similes, analogies, word pictures, allegories... all to make us understand His Word and Will better.

I have no idea (or goals for) how often I will be posting the analogies I see and learn...
I am also definitely NOT a writer. I use way too many paranthesis, ellipses, all caps... so please correct my spelling and grammar if need be! ;)

Make comments, challenge me...
Thanks for reading!
Vanesa

Thursday, May 14, 2009

Hola De Honduras

Day Cinco.

I have Spanglish down to a serious art form now. I know just enough to be dangerous. We are starting to make a list of the things I say to people because its pretty entertaining.
Today I asked the pharmacist for rotten eggs.
I wanted to buy a little girl a treat at the store and I said- "Tu quieres? Yo consado." Meaning- You want Im tired.
The best to date was when I told mi profesora de espanol that I danced with HER boyfriend instead of saying I danced with my boyfriend. ;)

Today we had class a la playa (beach) and it was gorgeous. Im very thankful for my sweet professor. Her name is Elvia and she doesn't speak one word of English. I really feel like Im a child learning a language for the first time, or a missionary learning a language that hasn't been learned before. We walked around the beach and she would point to sand and say- arena... or a bug and say insepto... Im doing a lot of non verbal communication and using pictures. ;) I have been praying a ton for the missionaries I know, especially Sarah trying to learn Japanese!

Wanted to write out some things that Im thankful for- there are so MANY! In addition to the many attributes of God, my salvation and redemption, grace, a BIBLE, and all the other truly important things, there are many unimportant things as well:
1- My name! ;) Vanesa is the perfect name for a spanish speaking country. I fit right in. Thanks mom.
2- My hair. Its big. My health, my legs, $, growth, and a FAN in my room! I praise God for that fan.
3- Three meals of beans, rice and tortillas a day provided, as well as as much bottled water as I can drink- provided gratis. AND today because its Meredith's 25th birthday- we had chocolate cake for breakfast! It was delicious. I do feel the need for an orange though- its a running joke that I talk about developing rickets. Thank God for vitamin C ;) And just for friends here and great laughs.
4- Internet! We have a computer IN our home! The internet works about every other day but its still such a blessing not to have to pay for it or go to an internet cafe.
5- A huge room and a wonderful roommate to share it with. AND even though our bathroom is infested with cockroaches, the shower is cold, and we have to put our hand in the toilet tank everytime we want to flush- I am EXTREMELY thankful that we have our OWN bathroom IN our room! That is huge... and there is a little shelf in there so we can put our stuff on it. Its really a great privilege
6- Tomorrow being laundry day

God is so good. And His word says Godliness with contentment is great gain. I love Phil 4 that Paul says I KNOW what its like to be in need and have plenty, whether well fed or hungry- I can do all through Christ who gives me strength. Im glad I can add that I KNOW what its like to be in these additional situations
whether hot or cold
whether clean or dirty
whether straight or curly
whether with Jordan or without him ;)
whether in the USA or Honduras...
I can do all through Jesus Christ. And its truly not even hard (see the many thanksgivings/blessings above...)

OK off to shower before our nightly salsa dancing lesson. Right now Im a wonderful mix of sunscreen, bug spray, dust, and sand.
Adios!

2 comments:

Rescued by the Lamb said...

WOW. sounds like a really fun summer vacation! :) beaches and roaches... hmmm... not kidding about the first statement, but the roaches really gross me out! I wonder what was God's purpose in creating them... seems like it's one of those things created so that we can appreciate their absence-- and Thank God for that! hmm..?? blah blah blah..

Rescued by the Lamb said...

guess what's Biblegateway
s verse of the day is for today??

"As you do not know the path of the wind, or how the body is formed [a] in a mother's womb, so you cannot understand the work of God, the Maker of all things." Ecc 11:5

V, someone told me that Solomon was getting depressed (or in a decline) when he was writing Ecclesiates, but it seems to be quite some wisdom that he's throwing out there... check this out--the verse right before verse 5 above:

"Whoever watches the wind will not plant;whoever looks at the clouds will not reap. " Ecc 11:4

It speaks so much to day dreamers like me... and it's so true! It took the term "DAY dreamer" in its literal sense too! wow..

anyway... talk to you later.