The initiation of a blog...

I love analogies.

The God I serve is all about them as well. The Bible is fraught with parables, similes, analogies, word pictures, allegories... all to make us understand His Word and Will better.

I have no idea (or goals for) how often I will be posting the analogies I see and learn...
I am also definitely NOT a writer. I use way too many paranthesis, ellipses, all caps... so please correct my spelling and grammar if need be! ;)

Make comments, challenge me...
Thanks for reading!
Vanesa

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Obviously this practice needs to happen more in my life

This summer I went to Alaska for 2 weeks. Email was sparse 'up there in Alaska' ;) and I accidentally left my cell phone in Virginia for the duration of that trip... ;)

Usually I love that... it is like leaving your leash at home and being fully present where you are and who you are with.

HOWEVER. Last night I had decided to be sans-electronic communication for the day today.... give my thumbs a break from all the texting and be more focused. This morning I woke up and deliberately did not check my email and promptly turned my cell phone to OFF. Today in class during breaks, I didn't know if someone had left me a voicemail or not... I figured everything could wait until 4:00...

The truth is though- it was SO difficult today! What? 10 hours without a cell phone? WOW.

And there are so many factors so I really debated which analogy to pull out here.
One- it was because I was looking forward to hearing from someone in particular. ;) It changes a lot. (Lord let me crave your presence and Word with such eager expectation!)

Second is because I wasn't enjoying myself in class today like I was enjoying myself in Alaska... sometimes we can totally use it as an escape from the current circumstances.(Lord remind me the secret of being content wherever I am!)

Thirdly is the fact that I had brought the phone to class with me even though it was turned off! It was sitting right there and even though I had told myself I wasn't turning it on today- it was a true temptation. It DEFINITELY would have been easier to have just left it at home or in my car. In Alaska I didn't really have a choice. (Lord may I not subject myself foolishly to temptation!)

That last thought on steering clear of tempting circumstances is something I heard recently in a sermon on legalism. It definitely is easier to just remove all forms of temptation than to have to rely on God for his grace... It also helps me feel better about myself because Im not daily confronted with my wretchedness and how quickly I can fall! The laws and rules and 'do not' safegaurds of the Old Testament are almost easier than depending on God's grace!
(Not to say in any way that I need to foolishly place ourselves in tempting circumstances!!!)

Father I need thee every hour. Thank you for redeeming me from the curse of the law!

1 comment:

Michael Edgerton said...

Your blogging is persuasive.. I really dont think a communication fast is a bad idea.. I wonder if its the modern equivalent of Jesus retreating to the Mt of Olives to pray.

Funny thing, I was waiting for a text from a special someone as well:).

You are so gifted VFJ. It is only an absolute pleasure to call you sister and friend.