The initiation of a blog...

I love analogies.

The God I serve is all about them as well. The Bible is fraught with parables, similes, analogies, word pictures, allegories... all to make us understand His Word and Will better.

I have no idea (or goals for) how often I will be posting the analogies I see and learn...
I am also definitely NOT a writer. I use way too many paranthesis, ellipses, all caps... so please correct my spelling and grammar if need be! ;)

Make comments, challenge me...
Thanks for reading!
Vanesa

Thursday, April 9, 2009

I seriously learn more while running than when going to church...

"Physical softness inevitably leads to spiritual softness." -Jerry Bridges

OFTEN when running I will say that Im going to do a certain distance or time- and then I tell myself, well I dont HAVE to do that much, and my physical body follows. Even if its little like Im going to run for 45 minutes... Ill get to 42 and stop and do the last 3 as a cool down....

Our pastor talked about this Sunday with an analogy from the Monument 10k and from Phil 1:19- how first you consent to it in your mind, and your body follows. As soon as you start saying, WHY am I doing this? No ones chasing me? I don't have to do this... your stop. In life- Our outward stumbles are only because we have already decided and committed the sin in our hearts.

Truth be told it DOESN'T matter whether I run for 42 minutes or 45... I dont have to run at all! (the Ecc 5:4-5 principle I have blogged on before) However- it does get me used to making provision for my flesh, and then when the area DOES matter, its much easier to compromise and rationalize it away. Little compromises will eventually have big impacts. AND when you dont rule over your flesh in the non-sin areas... its much easier to rationalize in the sin areas.

Im officially not skipping any classes anymore for the rest of the semester. (not legalistic if there is a valid reason, but not just because its boring, pointless, or I dont feel like it) I also want to try and follow thru with what I say, whether out loud or in my mind. (perhaps making more of an effort to say things out loud for the accountability)

I know I know... I keep learning the same things over and over. My blog is all the same lessons taught to me by different analogies and ways.

No comments: